Saturday, June 17, 2006

Cultural Impressions

I’m fortunate to live in such a multicultural city. Some cultural impressions lately…

Israeli family
I was entertaining at a private birthday party, when I heard something that reminded me of Hebrew. I found that there were several Israeli people there and that the mother in the family was an Israeli girl. I got to taste some really good Israeli food and cakes. I said that next time I’ll give you the show in exchange for those cake-recipes. For some silly reason they thought I was joking.

Catalan Language
Not long ago I entertained in a catholic family. Their young boy had his communion-celebration, which is a party that catholic people throw for their children first time they take communion. I heard these people speak some strange language that reminded me of Spanish. They said it was catalan, a language they speak in the area of Spain that they come from.

Ethiopian Mocha
Recently I entertained at a summer party on one of those places where immigrants stay when their applications are being processed. They played some very catching Ethiopian music and there was a lot of dancing and fun. I also met an Ethiopian pop star and received Ethiopian Mocha and Freia Premium Dark Chocolate as gifts.
I don’t like coffee, but still I tried the Ethiopian Mocha because it was a gift. Wow. It tasted really good, especially combined with the dark chocolate. I was hyped for the next 24 hours. Amazing coffee!

Muslim Girl
The other day I started talking with a girl at the bus stop. She wore the traditional “everything but face is covered” muslim clothes.
We had a very open-hearted conversation and I somehow felt I could freely ask some of the questions I don’t usually ask muslims. I asked why she wore those clothes. She said that she started wearing them only a year ago. She had always been a muslim, but then she had started to learn more about her faith. It hadn’t been an easy decision for her, but when she started to understand the reasons why to wear those clothes, she found that it was the right thing to do. Since she had given her faith so much thought lately, it was very interesting to listen to her.

4 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

flerkulturelt er så kult!! jeg skulle ønske ålesund var mer sånn.. :)

men jeg skal til london på lørdag så jeg får vel opplevd det da:)

jeg liker bloggen din, den er skikkelig kul!

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Jan Inge Saltskår said...

Så gøy å høre :) Jeg skal til Stranda i helga og underholde på Strandadagane, men tror ikke jeg rekker å se noen, utenom når jeg skal til foreldra mine for å låne bil :)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

jada, kom på besøk den helga jeg reiser vekk.. skikkelig god planlegging:/

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Jan Inge Saltskår said...

Jeg er flink sånn :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home