Thursday, April 13, 2006

Finnish Hospitality

Today I went to Tampere to see my most beloved friend Hanna. All the way on the train I felt really hungry for chocolate. Boy, was I glad when she gave me a Santa Claus made of chocolate. Hey. I even got a chance to eat Santa. Sorry kids – He's dead now!

Hanna also gave me wool-socks, of the good old home-knitted kind that you can’t buy in a normal store. I've wanted that kind of socks for years. She was even kind enough to share her Mämmi with me.

I met her father Erkki for the first time. After talking to me for a few minutes he said that he would be very glad if I could come to his big 80-year birthday celebration this summer.

Now I know how the Finnish have survived the cold winters: Because of the sauna AND because they are so warm people.

Picture: Hanna with a bowl of Mämmi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home