Thursday, November 30, 2006

What's Up With The Rain

This was a day all things seemed to go wrong. This evening I was gonna take the night bus to Ålesund, something that was very important for my nephew Christoffer who lives there, because I was gonna drive him somewhere tomorrow and help him buy a moped. This evening I had a four hour clown show and I had a lot of things I had to do before leaving Oslo. To save time, I borrowed Karl Anders’ car. If I knew what would happen next, I would definitely drive by public transportation instead. And if I had heard the radio warning that the roads were VERY slippery on this day… And if I had understood after my FIRST crash that the reason was slippery roads… On the way to my job, I wasn’t able to stop for a woman that suddenly stopped for a man crossing the road. I didn’t understand what I had done wrong. I felt that I had done everything right, but it still happened. Luckily I barely hit her. I crashed the glass for my left blinker and I just might have made a stripe or two in the paint on her rear bumper. Next time I crashed, it was like the brakes didn’t work at all and I bumped my left wheel into an edge in the middle of the road. It wasn’t like I had a lot of speed, and it wasn’t like I bumped really hard into it. Everything could have been good, but the wheel started leaking. I parked at the first possibly place I could find and tried to phone for a taxi, but couldn’t get through. While I tried to get through, I was walking to find the name of the street I had parked and I met a lady that showed me a way I could drive, avoiding the motor road. So I tried to get there while the tire was still leaking. I easily found the right area, which wasn’t far away, but I had a problem getting to the right building, so I decided to park the car and try to find it on foot. I put all my small money, about 5 Euro, on the parking meter and found that it wasn’t enough for the whole time I was staying there. I knocked on the windshield of a car just by and changed with a man in the car, getting 5 Euro more in small money. It just took a minute. When I came back to the machine, it had swallowed my money and refused to return them - so I was back to where I started. I started to be in a hurry reaching my job by now, even though I always calculate lots of extra time in case something happens… So I said a silent prayer I wouldn’t get fined (and thought about how badly I would sue them if I got) and decided to walk fast, but not run for my job. At first I didn’t recognise the place I was at all, and I forgot to pay close attention to where I had parked, because I was so set on trying to find out where I should walk. By now I had given up on getting there by time, but I still did. Problem was when I was going back to the car. I used so long time in looking for it, that I gave up my hope on reaching the night bus to Ålesund. After I gave up and kind of just walked around, it took 2 minutes before I found the car. Funnily effective to give up on something… So I changed to spare tire and drove home. When I got home I called a taxi, since I didn’t have time to drive by public transportation to Oslo Central Station. My bus was leaving at 10:00 PM. I called at 9:20 PM and ordered the Taxi for 9:35 PM, which left me with 15 minutes to pack for my trip, so I set a new personal record of packing for a week of travel. At 9:37 PM I stood outside the house, wondering why the Taxi hadn’t arrived. At 9:40 PM I called the Taxi company and found that they had put me up with a car for 9:35 AM tomorrow morning. Amazing!!! I asked them to send a car ASAP. I was thinking that if the car didn’t arrive by 9:45, I could just forget about it. At 9:45 the Taxi came. I told the driver that if he wasn’t able to get me there in time, he could just forget about this trip. He arrived at 9:54. While paying, he told me that he did racing on a pretty high level. Surely the right man for the job. But thing is that at one point getting there, he lost control of the car, slipping like crazy. He complained about how odd it was that the roads could get so incredible slippery at plus 7 degrees Celsius. Even though they were wet, it was just too much. I made a joke about the water being mixed with oil. A joke he took deadly serious, saying: “Well, it has to be something!”. This man was used to racing, and he was amazed by it… So my question is: What’s in the water? Maybe some environmental experts should run a test the next time the roads get like crazily slippery for no apparent reason. On the way to the bus, I was stopped by a man asking if I wouldn’t like to drive a car up to Ålesund. He said that I would get the trip and food and everything for free. He even said I would do him a big favour. I asked Jesus, but felt like: “No”. I guess the days experiences with driving didn’t make me too happy with the thought either, although it was tempting to get the trip for free. Two minutes before the bus was leaving, I left the desperate man and got on my ride to Ålesund. What a day!!!

5 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

betaler man med euro i oslo nå? ... alt man går glipp av her ute på bygda...

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Jan Inge Saltskår said...

hah hah. Prøve bare å oversette så alle forstår. De fleste av vennene mine vet hvor mye en Euro er, men bare mine norske venner skjønner seg så godt på NOK. Det var 45 NOK for å være nøyaktig. Begge gangene. For når jeg vekslet, gav jeg mannen en 50-lapp, men han hadde bare 45 kroner å gi tilbake. Her kræsjer jeg en bil 2 ganger på en tur og det eneste du kommenterer er valutaen på parkeringen. TAKK!!!

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

for å være rettferdig var det ikke mye til kræsj, og det var ikke din bil engang :p

jeg er selvfølgelig glad for at du kom deg helskinnet frem og i tide:D

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

jeg har forresten ikke peiling på hvor mye en euro er...

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Jan Inge Saltskår said...

Sist e va i Finland betalte e 8,70 krone for hver Euro e kjøpte. Sikkert ikke det som e kursen. E jo avgift på å kjøpe og sånn og kursen skifta heile tida, men d e jo d man må betale som telle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home