Monday, February 26, 2007

The Amazing Marjoe Gortner

Today I surfed by a video of an evangelist that started preaching at the age of 4. He experienced lots of people being saved, healed, baptized in the spirit and shaking and falling under the "power". He preached for big audiences. In his late twenties he exposed that he was a fraud. He didn't believe in God and never had.



This video shows more of his tragic childhood:



More to read about Marjoe Gortner:
Wikipedia (gives a good overview on his life)
Interview with Marjoe (by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman)
Resurrecting ‘Marjoe’ (by Sarah Kernochan)
Evangelism as Entertainment (by Robert M. Price)
Marjoe at IMDB (he became an actor after he stopped preaching)
Amazon.com (buy the documentary of his life on DVD)

5 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger Marianne said...

it doesn't matter what the preacher believes as long as ppl get saved.

same way it doesn't matter why i give food to a bum. if i give it cuz i feel bad for him/her and wanna help, or cuz someone is forcing me to do it and i don't really care about the bum, the bum still gets fed.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Jan Inge Saltskår said...

He he... Fast commented... I'm still adding links to this post...

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Jan Inge Saltskår said...

Jesus gave us the following mission statement (The Message): Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you.

So if our mission is to train people to live a Jesus way of life, I really don't see the point in some guy travelling around begging money and putting on a great show, giving people exstatic feelings and calling this feeling salvation. What happens when this person wakes up to a gray morning the next day and the excitement is gone? "I tried to be saved, but it didn't work for me". I've heard that one too many times. I call it vaccination.

About your "bum" example: No matter your motives the person gets fed. So it might not matter from that perspective. But your motives does matter for YOU, as so clearly seen in 1 Corintians 13.

I personally believe that it might also matter for the person if you give out of love, because he might sense that.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

if God could use a donkey, he can use non christian preachers. whether or not ppl get saved isn't up to the preacher, but God.

if i was a bum i'd worry more about getting food than where it came from.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Jan Inge Saltskår said...

I agree with your last posting.

I'm also thinking of the fact that "God is love" and 1 Cor 13 which tell us that nothing really matters if we don't have love

1 Cor 13;3-7 (The Message):
If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home