Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Pasta Heaven

Today I thought I would try making dinner using organic spelt spaghetti. I had bought one of those boxes with tomato purée and thought I would make sauce for the meat with it, but then I got the idea that I could make my own tomato purée, since I had bought too many tomatoes. Long story short: The result was fantastic. Usually I put a lot of ketchup on the spaghetti, but this time it tasted incredible without. And the sauce basically just consisted of tomatoes and spices.

Tomato purée: Chop tomatoes in pieces and boil for 45 minutes on low temperature with a lid on. You don't need to add water, the tomatoes contain a lot of water. At least with the kind of pot I have, you don't need to stir. You can use the time for other stuff. Put it in a blender (I paid like 40 Euros for mine, they're worth it) for a few seconds and let it go through a strainer. Now you are supposed to cook it till it is thick enough and add salt, pepper and sugar for taste. Do yourself a favour: Skip the sugar - you eat enough of that thing already. Actually I skipped the second cooking too (so I didn't actually make purée, more like tomato sauce) and just added salt and pepper and fried it together with the meat. You can freeze what you don't eat right away.

2 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhhh, I'm so gonna try that. I remember in grade 8, in cooking class we made tomato sauce, and it was the best tommy sauce I have ever had! this reminded me of it, so time to put my apron on methinks!

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger Jan Inge Saltskår said...

Good luck! Let me know if you're satisfied with the result.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home